Friday, July 17, 2009

How to make your own packaging?

I'll be attending the craftparking fair in Maastricht (Netherlands) on the 16th of August. Since this is my first craft fair ever, I just want to be fully prepared. I made some personalised packaging & had fun making it.
It's so easy & cheap and it looks supercool I think.
Here is what you need:
Tempera paint, cardboard plate to mix paint, paintbrush, empty paper bags (you can buy them at papersupply shops or places where they sell packaging materials), a kitchen sponge, a sharpie marker, a template of your logo or avatar, a sharp knife.Cut out the logo or avatar. If you don't have that, you can certainly find some nice easy drawings on the internet. Don't take something too complicated as this is not suited for very detailed logo's.
Trace the outline of the logo onto the sponge.
Cut out the inside part of the logo.
Trace it onto the sponge.
Then take the sharp knife and cut into the traced lines. Make it about 5mm or 0,20inches deep.
Then with the tip of the knife, take away the bits of sponge.
For the outside part, you can cut away the excess sponge.
It should like this when you are finished. It doesn't matter that it's not looking extremely nice, it's the result that counts.
Then mix some paint in your liking. I of course need lime green. :)
Apply some paint to the sponge with the painbrush.
Then sponge it onto the paper bag.
I have a little stamp with my Etsy store and I stamp it below the logo. It's perhaps a bit small but I think the logo is still recognisable.
So they dry & they are done! :)
Hope this inspired you to make your own packaging. Give it a try, it's fun! :)

And if you haven't seen my new postcards yet, hop over here and leave a comment, you might win some! ;)

Share
|