Friday, July 30, 2010

Merry go round

Every last friday of the month, I jump on the 'Merry go round'. What is the Merry go round exactly? Each month, a group of craftswomen from around the world join together and give their reponses to the same question/challenge.The question this time was: How much, if at all, does your geographical location affect your art/craft.

To tell you the truth, I don't know really. In Belgium, kids start school usually at 2,5 years old. It's not obliged until 5 years old but most kids go to school that young. So I was cutting, drawing, glueing and shaping stuff at a fairly young age as that's what you do a lot at pre-school.
After that, in my free time, I went to children's art school one day a week until I was about 12 years old. As a teenager, I remember I loved art classes at school most but somehow I got distracted with teenager stuff back then. But I kept on cutting, drawing, glueing and shaping stuff up until now.I suppose that being given the opportunity to be able to do all this crafty stuff as a kid has affected me to who I am now. I strongly believe in the fact that if you are given the tools, ability will grow on you. A bit of talent may help too though. The fact that I was encouraged to be creative made a big difference too.
So I feel lucky and grateful to have been born in Belgium where all the tools for a creative life are available at a very young age.
I wish this would be balanced a bit more throughout all parts of the world...

Kerrin's (Sigmosaics) kiddies at play by ArtMind

Want to know what the other merriers think about this theme? Hop over to their blogs. Please bear in mind that the members will be posting at different times of the day, depending on which world time-zone they are in :)

Alison at Tweed thoughts
Kim at Vilt a la Kim

Sara at Saras Texture Crafts

Fabienne at Easterya Jewellery

Mariana at Florcita

Agathe at Le Bar du Vent

Lily at Lily Pang Art and Design

Ruth at Birdland Creations