Sunday, August 22, 2010

To wholesale or not to wholesale?

The text below is taken from my profile on Etsy:

WHOLESALE
I love to have the time to create.
I make things with my hands in order to maintain a happy heart in a crazy world.
Etsy gives me the opportunity to let out creative things in my mind.

I need time to make new creatures once in a while and if I would be doing wholesale, I wouldn’t have time for that ‘cause I only have two hands…

However, the wholesale questions I have had in the past have made me *glow*
It can never harm to ask, as long as you’re prepared to have ‘no’ for an answer - I’m always open to discuss it and you might even persuade me… ;)
Now that’s a challenge…


Have you ever been thinking about seeing your work in 'real' shops?
I have and I think I would glow with pride but somehow I'm not ready to compromise my small handmade business with the demands of wholesale or consignment.

I love being able to work at my own pace, try out different ideas and experiment with whatever crosses my mind. If I would wholesale or do consignment, I would have to double my prices in order to give a 50% discount to the retailer. I considered wholesaling when pricing my work but decided against it as I can't mass produce my work and keep the unique character it has.
And I really enjoy making mini-art-feelings but I can't see myself day in day out in the feeling factory. That would make my heart bleed and take the soul out of my work.
That goes for all the work that I make really...
It would put pressure on me and I've learned over the past few years that living without pressure is so much more fulfilling...

How do you feel about wholesaling or consigment?
I'd love to hear your thoughts!