Friday, December 31, 2010

Merry go round

Every last friday of the month, I jump on the 'Merry go round'. What is the Merry go round exactly? Each month, a group of craftswomen from around the world join together and give their reponses to the same question/challenge.This month we collaborated creative wise with someone on the Merry go round.
Ruth drew names for everyone and that person sent you something creative they've made.
Then it was up to us to try and combine it with what we do normally.
My collaboration partner was Mariana from Florcita. Way back in February when we were on a fair together, she gave me some beautiful green, handspun yarn. So when I knew she was my partner, I told her not to send anything as it was the perfect opportunity to use the yarn.
It had been sitting in my studio for quite some time so it was about time I got my hands on it!
I quickly knew I wanted to try and do something I had never done before: freeform crocheting.
I love it so much but I never tried it because I only know the basics and I do think you need to 'understand' what you do somehow. I know how to finish something by pattern but I'm still struggling with 'dc2togs' and other weird loops I have to make sometimes. So, I don't really have it in my fingers yet, as my mind does somehow needs guidance from a pattern to actually make something.
Freeform crocheting feels so liberating! I hooked away jippety jappety happy and didn't really care what stitches I used or how many single or double crochets I did. How fun!
I wanted to use the lightest and softest yarn for the middle and then decided I would use all the other different greens on the sides. Just doing whatever stitches I liked doing at that time.
It put my head on automatic pilot and I never questioned why I did a certain stitch.
The yarn is all different quality (bamboo, wool, silk,...) so the textures are amazing!
Thank you for the lovely yarn Mariana! I loved working with it!
I made a special porcelain brooch to go on the scarf. I made a mould from a bear's head and placed it in a little tray. Then I added lots of lime green glass beads around it. The beads melted in the kiln and it looks glazed now. I think it worked out really well although the edges are not quite the way I would finish 'em if I had any control over it. I think the design of the brooch is quite wild and goes really well with this wild scarf! :)
Want to know what the other merriers made with their goodies? Hop over to their blogs. Please bear in mind that the members will be posting at different times of the day, depending on which world time-zone they are in :)
Kim at Vilt a la Kim

Sara at Saras Texture Crafts

Fabienne at Easterya Jewellery

Mariana at Florcita

Agathe at Le Bar du Vent

Lily at Lily Pang Art and Design

Ruth at Birdland Creations