Friday, July 4, 2008

New word: wilted

A few weeks ago, I used this picture to express how I felt. My friend, Julie Garland wrote me some words of comfort after seeing the pic on my blog. She used the word 'wilted' which is very new to me so I made her explain it... This is how she worded it:
'Let's see... people generally use the word wilted when they talk about flowers or plants and not about people! I was just referring to your blog pic and that flower definitely looked wilted. If you get a bouquet of flowers and don't water them for a week they would droop and look sort of lifeless - you would then say the flowers have "wilted". Basically the opposite of looking fresh and vibrant! Of course this explanation is from the dictionary in my head! Here are some official ones!
1. To become limp or flaccid; droop: plants wilting in the heat.

2. To feel or exhibit the effects of fatigue or exhaustion; weaken markedly:
3. To cause to droop or lose freshness.

4. To deprive of energy or vigor; fatigue or exhaust.'
Thank you so much, Julie, I love learning new words but I hope I don't have to use this one very often... ;)
This photo I found tonight in Flickr when getting back from work. It's made by Yasmin . I think this represents how I feel right now: more balanced but still vulnerable...