Friday, March 25, 2011

Merry go round

Every last friday of the month, I jump on the 'Merry go round'. What is the Merry go round exactly? Each month, a group of craftswomen from around the world join together and give their reponses to the same question/challenge.This month we were asked to introduce you to an artist who's work I find inspiring or interesting. It could be anyone at all, famous or not, dead or alive, ugly or pretty,...

That's pretty tough for me as my inspiration is influenced by so much and many around me. It is too hard for me to pick just one artist which inspires me so I think I'll cheat a bit... (shhht!)

Clay is the medium that I've been working the most with the past years and because of the nature of the classes I took, I'm used to work in themes or projects. We would get an assignment and that's where I usually started off to find inspiration. I would think how I could translate the assignment and find connections with my thoughts in books, on the internet or in real life.
I remember how hard it was in the beginning. First of all the anxiety to not have any inspiration at all and second the fear of having too many images in my head.
I never started an assignment right away and usually did some freewheel claying to give my head some space to 'deal' with my thoughts.

It still works like this in a way although I do miss the interaction with my fellow ceramic students a lot. We used to stop by each others table and give feedback on each others work.
Suggest someone to try something a different way or ask advice on how they would tackle a certain concept. I believe that interaction around your work is what makes it come to life most.

I love to be around creative people and do things together. It's a process that makes me grow in every way. Be it crocheting granny squares at a crafty meet up, giving a workshop at home, do supply shopping with friends and discuss art materials or exchange thoughts on a certain image on Flickr,... so really it's the entire creative community that inspires me every single day.


Hey, that's probably YOU I'm referring to as you are reading this blog, you are part of my creative community and thus my main source of inspiration.

I would not be as inspired if no one would ever visit me in this space, on Flickr, Twitter or at home. I love getting feedback on what I'm up to and I love to give my opinion on other people's projects although I feel that I do too little of that last bit nowadays*.
I should as I really feel that I want to give back what I receive... support, friendship and inspiration! Thank you source of inspiration, I hope you'll stick around for many, many more!

*I have issues with time.

Want to know what the source of inspiration of the other Merriers is? Hop over to their blogs. Please bear in mind that the members will be posting at different times of the day, depending on which world time-zone they are in :)

Laura at Blue Terracotta
Monika at Red2White
Ruth at Birdland Creations
Kim at Vilt a la Kim
Sara at Crafts of Texture
Samantha at Vintage is for lovers
Mariana at Florcita
Agathe at Le Bar du Vent
Jen at Painted Fish Studio
Bethany at Dirksen Dabbles