Saturday, May 12, 2012

The making of... invincible


Invincible was the first mini-art-feeling I made. As I mentioned in Etsy's Handmade Portrait, it is something I would love to be & feel always. It's such a strong feeling that encourages you to  go for it & face just about anything. Making the feeling is a complete different story. It's not as easy as it looks unfortunately and I must admit that I do swear and curse sometimes! :)
I start out by cutting the tail from a slab of clay. Then I place it on the base and trace where it should go. I make sure I add enough roughness and clayslib for it to be stuck really well. Sometimes, when I want to place the tail back, it breaks and then I curse. I roll out a very thin slice of clay and place it to the side to finish off the sides smoothly. I do this with a blunt, wooden tool. Then the magic with the wet paintbrush starts. I use a lot of paintbrushes to make things smooth and nice. And last but not least, the clay rib makes sure to smoothen out all the last bits. 
Ready to conquer the world now!